Tuesday, August 14, 2012

NEVER pull a loose thread and....

Isaac Newton's First Law (of three) of Motion. The Laws of Motion describe the effects of forces on the movement of common objects. Every woman being a force to be reckoned with is familiar with these laws. The first law, which takes Galileo's inertia concept further, states that an object at rest, remains at rest unless it experiences a net external force. In other words, don't pull the loose thread on your sweater and it won't unravel. This also apparently applies to string that one might find laying amongst the weeds while spiffying up one's studio. I was pulling weeds like a machine and then, I found a string. Pause. Look around. Don't be obvious about it. Make sure no one is looking. Pull the string anyway. Pause. Look around some more. Still, trying not to be obvious. Schew. Everything seems fine. The Thurners Building, which my studio is in, is for sale and gets a little more attention. That's good motion. But then, about a week later....


CRASH! The roof of the beautiful and historic sandstone building next to the studio caves in and takes the second floor, first floor, and the facing on a small section of the sandstone down with it. Oops. Kind of feeling a teensy bit like Cat Woman where the building is blowing up behind her. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Anyway, in all seriousness, it's terrible. Calumet has these beautiful, historic, architecturally significant sandstone buildings. The tourists go nuts over them. They stop, get out of their cars, almost get hit by traffic as they are drawn in for a closer look at these buildings, snapping picture after picture of them. And then there's the memories. As I was weeding, quite a few people stopped to chat and I was privy to the stories of this particular building. It used to have a bowling alley in the basement. A lot of the locals used to bowl there or worked there as kids. Unfortunately, this is just one of quite a few of these buildings that are in serious need of hitting the lottery. The Husband and I looked at what seems like all of the buildings that are available on 5th Street. Nothing is within my budget. By the grace of our Main Street organization, I was able to rent the north garage of the Thurner's Bakery Building. I'm coming up on having had the studio for a month. This whole first month has been about creating the space for me to paint. I can NOT believe how much I've learned in just a month. It's been amazing. I'm beginning a project in the studio on August 26th. I've got a couple more things to do to prepare. Definitely nothing that involves string.

No comments: