Friday, August 3, 2012

Another strike against wind

More accurately and specifically, against spending our hard earned money on a wind turbine. That whole economic principle of opportunity cost where if resources are put into one area (wind), the resources aren't there for another area (food, art studio). Anyway, the neighbor's turbine that I covet is not spinning. I don't remember when we noticed but it's just been a yard sculpture for what seems like a month. Who knows with the way Summer is blazing by. A bearing is out so there she sits NOT feeding the grid. At least, they're grid tied so they're not sitting there like a spent RV after a two week vacation of partying like rock stars.

Zxeres is allegedly standing behind their turbine and has sent the replacement parts. However, there's the issue of actually repairing it. You know, someone coming waaay out here to the UP and climbing Mt. Tower. That's the problem we had with the Loewen windows and doors. They didn't want to pay for someone to come waaay out here and do the work. I want to emphasize that was our experience and NOT, to my knowledge, what is going on with the Zxeres. Tower height and parts availability has been something The Husband and I have discussed. Bergey has a reputation for getting the parts to you ASAP. The Husband and I have discussed at great length, tower height and aesthetics. This Zxeres is a big bird. We're looking at a much smaller turbine. Is it going to get it's turbine ass kicked in the winds here? It's like pulling teeth to get anybody out here to do anything. We've been bantering around the words "tilt-down" tower. We're not in any position right now to add wind so we've got plenty of time to think about it. But, if Bergey wanted to ship one here out of the kindness of their hearts in exchange for undying gratitude and some heavy duty publicity, we'll I'm not ashamed to admit that this girl does love gifts!

We received a somewhat juicy tidbit of info that's worth passing on. A meter reader reported to a mutual acquaintance that people that have solar are happy with their solar and people with wind turbines are not happy with them. More pause for thought.

However, when you're off-grid and "need more power, Scotty," what are your options? The Husband and I have thrown on the table the possibility of tying into the grid and planting some more sunflowers (PV arrays). We'd still have our batteries in the cabin so we could keep going when the grid goes down which it's always doing out here. I fired the first electricians/company we had out here at the cabin and those people do work for the electric company so we'd definitely want to be able to stand alone when the grid goes down. We make solar power hand over fist in the Summer. We dump power after 10:30/11:00 am every day in the Summer. Could we produce and feed the grid enough in the Summer via solar to still have a zero electric bill in the Winter? Hmmm?

On another note, kind of a fair warning, I will be doing my Studio adventure posts here on this blog. I have been hesitant to include much of my art life here but I've found that trying to segregate my art life from The Secret Cabin blog doesn't work for me. I will clearly mark my Studio/Art posts as such so you may skip them if you wish. Hopefully, it won't be too inconvenient or bothersome for anyone.


No comments: