Sunday, October 27, 2013

DEFCON status

photo from here

There have been moments during off-grid mayhem and mishaps where I imagine one of those caged, oblong red light bulbs flashing while an alarm whoops and the words "DEFCON ?" bellows repeatedly over a loud speaker. The "?" is because I never knew if 5 or 1 indicated "oh shit!" So, I googled. It's 1. DEFCON 1 is "oh shit." But wait, there's more. DEFCONs are Defense Conditions. There's also EMERGCONs, Emergency Conditions, but those are for "reactions" to "missiles in the air attacks." That would be "OH SHIT!" Hmmm? I'm thinking snow rather than missiles. Yes, missiles are really bad but snow is not to be toyed with either. Yes, I'm going to establish for the purpose of this blog that EMERGCON is for impending doom incidents which could be a snow storm, the government taking another expensive vacation on our dime, and/or a missile in the air among other such things, etc. EMERGCON 2 is when we have a couple of cans of fuel for the generator on standby; EMERGCON 1 will be when ALL appropriate storage cans for fuel are in fact full. Food and supplies for both (wo)man and beasts should also be stocked: enough for one incident would be level 2; stocking for a minimum of 3 months would be level 1. (Definitely, I cordially invite you to set whatever protocols are best for you here; we're all different with different situations.) The five DEFCON levels and the two EMERGCON levels make up what is called LERTCONs, Alert Conditions. I learned all this from FAS. While I cannot recommend enough how one that lives off-grid should really be at DEFCON 1 and EMERGCON 1, which I am guilty of not always doing, I have listed the other DEFCON levels for your day-to-day status and/or panicking convenience (taken directly from the aforementioned link). I'd say The Secret Cabin is at DEFCON 4 moving toward DEFCON 3 as November 1 rolls towards us. I expect to be at DEFCON 1 by December 1.

DEFCON 5 Normal peacetime readiness
DEFCON 4 Normal, increased intelligence and strengthened security measures 
DEFCON 3 Increase in force readiness above normal readiness 
DEFCON 2 Further Increase in force readiness, but less than maximum readiness 
DEFCON 1 Maximum force readiness.



No comments: