Sunday, February 28, 2010

Still kicking


Oh crap. I am convinced that if I were a man, I'd be dead. The sniffles put a man flat on his back in bed. A cold like this would definitely kill one. Good thing I'm a ROAR woman. Still, the germs found me even though I hid under the covers. I went to the grocery store and got the usual cold fighting supplies: echinacea tea, lemons, honey, whiskey, eucalyptus essential oil, and all the fixings for chicken soup. I wanted to get lemon juice so I didn't have to cut and squeeze lemons but there were some things listed on the label that were, well, I don't know what the heck they were. It's logical to me, Spock, that one should not eat something that one doesn't know what it is. Grocery shopping is pretty quick for me because more than half the store has weird science stuff on the label. As an aside note, if you saw how much they sprayed your fruit and vegetables, you wouldn't touch the non-organic stuff either. However, the trip to the grocery store completely wiped me out. I ended up free basing the honey. While it soothed my sore throat, I think I should have hit the whiskey harder as I'm definitely being overtaken by germs. I mixed the essential oil with some jojoba oil and spread that all over my neck and chest so the apartment still smelled like Vix only the natural version. Do NOT put but a tiny, tiny dab under your nose or your eyes will burn and water. I need to kick this thing. I've got work to do.

Can you believe it is the last day of February? Wow. I thought we'd take a little trip down memory lane seeing how this cold has my whole life flashing before me. Today's picture was taken by the previous owner and is the picture that started it all. The Man and I had just watched the movie, The Secret Window. The Secret Window was in a cabin. Well, we wanted the whole cabin and not just the window so we went in search of The Secret Cabin. This was the fall of 2005. We would look at a property, look at each other and ask, "Did we find The Secret Cabin?" "No." Then Winter set in. Now, it was January 2006. I was surfing the internet and looking at the MLS listings on our agent's website. I was scrolling through and when I saw this picture, the world stopped and I gasped, "The Secret Cabin, ooooo." I called the agent. He checked into it for us and it was still available, in the area we liked, and that he'd see us in the Spring. I wanted to see it now. While our agent sounded shocked because there was 300 inches of snow everywhere (no exaggeration), he happily obliged. We met him at the driveway with rented snowmobiles and he rode on the back of the snowmobile with Mike. The driveway is tree lined on both sides for awhile and then it opens into a big clearing and the cabin sits up on a little hill. It completely took my breath away. More so than the photograph. The Man and I looked at each other and said, "The Secret Cabin." The next day was Valentine's Day and we went back out, this time in snowshoes. and looked at the property again. That was our best Valentine's Day ever. And the rest, as they say, is history.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Wow! I remember seeing that picture when looking at houses. Of course I can't remember where it was located but I remember that picture well and the cabin. How exciting for you!