Friday, October 16, 2009

Fall y'all





First, a quick word on the weather from UP North: Wa! (local saying meaning "wow"). For the rest of us, the word ugly will do the trick. Lots of cold, wind, rain, sleet, and snow. Even people who have been here a while are saying it's unseasonably cold right now and that it's pretty unusual to see color on the trees and snow on the ground.

I am flying to Ohio today so that I can take care of the animals while Mike comes UP here and installs the solar panels. Since my last update, the electrician has wired the cabin and I have been working on the plumbing. Yep, I can "sweat pipe" meaning solder. I also know how to glue together the black ABS piping too. I do have an experienced guy who is the brains and the brawn of the operation but technically because I, the owner, pulled the permit means I, the owner, have to do the work. I did that because we were getting ridiculously high estimates for the plumbing and the plumber I hired already had one part of the job wrong and had a mouth I didn't want to listen to so I wasn't going to torture myself or anybody else and ended that immediately.

The guys started the barn last week, are working on it this week, and will probably be working on it again next week. Geez. Then we're back in the cabin for insulation and drywall with a two week break for hunting season. Apparently, they shut the UP down and go hunting. After, that it's December. Yep, December. We should have our last shipment of windows waiting for us (they come in opening day of hunting season) and we'll get them installed and that will be it for the year.

No comments: